I often hear that work is a means to an end for people. They do it so that they can earn enough money to do other things. What a shame to spend so much of your time doing something which doesn’t have any intrinsic fulfilment!
Yet we also come across all sorts of people doing all sorts of jobs who do feel that their work is worthwhile. What’s the difference? These people have found something to make their work purposeful.
Ways of making your work purposeful can be identified by asking yourself:
- How does what I do make a difference in the world? For example you may be contributing to a service or product that improves people’s lives.
- How does what I do help other people? For example you may help to make their job easier, or make them feel good by treating them well.
- How does what I do use my talents and personal qualities? For example, you may be good at communicating and use that to please your customers, or someone whose sense of humour lightens the day for others.
When our work feels purposeful, we give of our best, and feel satisfaction with what we are doing. It gives meaning to all those hours spent at work. What is the purpose for you of your work?
- Ask yourself the questions above and find at least one thing that makes your work feel purposeful.
- Encourage others to do the same.
Comments are closed.