We often think it’s someone else’s job to be a leader, but when we look around, it seems that many of those who are called leaders don’t behave like leaders at all.
Rather than complaining about it, I think it’s time we all played our own part in being leaders. Essentially being a leader means setting the example of how to behave in a way that enables all of us to follow our values, to be positive and constructive, and to fulfil our potential. And we can all take the lead in the way we behave.
So let’s all make an effort to:
- Think before we speak (or tweet!)
- Treat others with respect
- Be honest about what we can and can’t do
- Take time to sort ourselves out if we’re a bit frazzled so we don’t inflict our mood on others
- Bother to greet people properly and pleasantly
- Assume the best rather than the worst
- Let others help us and offer help to them, so we each use our strengths
- Allow people space to explain their point of view
- And above all, take care of our own state of mind and energy, so that we can be at our best
If you think about it, these aren’t just excellent leadership qualities: they also make both us and those around us feel good about ourselves, and respond more positively and constructively. They are downright useful!!
Can you imagine how transformative it would be, if we all did our bit towards leading in these ways? So let’s not wait for someone else to show us the way – go do some leading today.
Comments are closed.